Patrick Toms is a leading dentist in Georgia specializing in sleep dentistry for patients who deal with sleep apnea and snoring. We offer two different oral dental appliances to help remedy the symptoms and effects of these two sleep problems.
With our oral devices, patients can gain relief from disruptive sleep and avoid negative health benefits without having to invest in costly solutions such as medications or surgery. Whether a device treats obstructive sleep apnea or snoring, it will commonly fall into one of two categories. Tongue retaining appliances keep the tongue in a forward position, thus preventing it from falling back and blocking the airway. The second type, Mandibular Repositioning Appliances, reposition the lower jaw (the mandible) and help move the tongue into a more forward positon while also keeping the tongue muscles more rigid and stable.
Learn more about our sleep dentistry oral appliances:
Advantages of Oral Appliances
There are many benefits to oral appliances and understanding them can help you better determine if a dental device is a viable solution to your obstructive sleep apnea or snoring problem. Advantages include:
- Oral appliances are comfortable and easy to wear. They are similar to an orthodontic retainer or sport mouth guard.
- Devices are comfortable to most people after just a few weeks.
- Oral appliances are small and easy to pack, making them convenient to store easily when traveling.
- Treatment with these devices is reversible and non-invasive.
- Oral appliance therapy can be used alone or in conjuction with other treatments.