Dental Sleep Medicine
Dr. Patrick Toms is a leading dentist in Gainesville, Georgia specializing in dental sleep medicine for patients who suffer from sleep apnea or snoring. We diagnose and treat patients with oral appliance therapy so that you can begin enjoying a better night’s sleep.
Oral Appliance Therapy
With oral appliance therapy, patients can gain relief from disruptive sleep and avoid negative health consequences without having to invest in costly solutions such as medications or surgery.
Types of Oral Appliances
Whether a device treats obstructive sleep apnea or snoring, it will commonly fall into one of two categories. Tongue Retaining Devices keep the tongue in a forward position, thus preventing it from falling back and blocking the airway. The second type, Mandibular Repositioning Appliances, reposition the lower jaw (the mandible) and help move the tongue into a more forward positon while also keeping the tongue muscles more rigid and stable.
Advantages of Oral Appliances
There are many benefits to oral appliances and understanding them can help you better determine if a dental device is a viable solution to your obstructive sleep apnea or snoring problem. Advantages include:
- Oral appliances are easy to wear. They are similar to an orthodontic retainer or sport mouth guard.
- Devices are comfortable to most people after just a few weeks.
- Oral appliances are small and easy to pack, making them convenient to store when traveling.
- Treatment with these devices is reversible and non-invasive.
- Oral appliance therapy can be used alone or in conjunction with other treatments.